Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

An Echo from the Past





In Anacortes, WA, there is this wonderful 100 year old train depot. For the last 20 plus years it was a vibrant center for the arts. 

I an not sure why, but I feel a deep affection for this old building. It speaks to me. It's a pleasant conversation, full of happiness and history.

I recently organized a two-day holiday gift show in the Depot. For two days the building was full of happy energy. The atmosphere was festive and laughter filled the rooms. I started to imagine what it must have been like 100 years ago. I could hear the excitement of people traveling. I could feel the hustle as they bought their tickets and waited for the train. The energy from the employees swirled around me, as they helped the passengers and loaded the freight.  I could see the tears of loved ones, as they came and went. I could hear the children laughing and playing. How exciting those times must have been. 

It was then that I knew that The Depot is meant to be filled with happiness and laughter. It is my hope that the tradition continues.  That the memories in the Depot will always be filled with excitement, with the hustle of people, with laughter, playing and happiness. This building deserves that for all that it gives to this small community.

The Depot

Through the years
through the laughter, the tears

People came, people went 
brief moments that were spent

Memories remain, written in time
a beauty now, as it was in it's prime

Today it still stands
still beautiful and happy, thanks to loving hands



No comments: